Friday, April 20, 2018

Quick note on experiment

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to quickly say that I am leaving my system for nine days over the course of April vacation to see if the system survives. Either my plants will perish, or they'll be thriving. I'll find out the result on Monday.

-Ben

Monday, April 9, 2018

Bottom Row Germination

Hello everyone,

I have been working on 3 projects lately:

1. The HydroLoft system (old)
On the top, the wheatgrass has been growing well, but the other plants aren't, so I'll probably replace them. The ones on the bottom, I checked them to see if they have sprouted their roots. 3 out of 4 have sprouted their roots, so it is a success so far. The green part should, in theory, rise soon after the roots sprout, so wish me luck!

2. Shallow Water Tray
 This is a plastic tray with water in it. That's all it is. Currently, squash seeds and russian kale is growing in it. I decided to do this project just for fun to see what results it would actually yield. Since the system is open without boundaries, the plants may grow in some unique ways. I accidentally let it dry out over the weekend though, so I might have to re-do it.

3. Gro Cube Pipe
This was inspired by Mr. Deets (a teacher) who made this, but vertical. I added some adjustments  and made it horizontal. It is secured by thin rope and is waterproofed on both ends. The right end has a tube for refilling the water, and the baskets hold gro cubes which contain wheatgrass seeds. Using capillary action, the gro cubes will keep the seeds moist until they grow their roots, which will be able to touch the water at the bottom of the pipe without the gro cube being wet. Hopefully, this will result in a super water efficient system.

Thanks for reading,
Ben

Thursday, April 5, 2018

What I've been up to

Hello everyone!

Sorry I haven't been writing recently! I finally have balanced the water in the HydroLoft system, and if I remember, I'll make a video of it running and post that.

I'm also working on a few side projects, which I will also try to remember to take pictures of. The first one is a shallow water tray, and the second one is a gro cube pipe (inspired by Mr. Deet's vertical version). I will explain them both on the next post, hopefully.

Thanks for reading,
Ben

Friday, March 16, 2018

Update: First plants growing!

Hello everyone,

I have been working hard on perfecting the water flow for the HydroLoft system. I have perfected it for the top, so I planted seeds. All of them have germinated (I checked), but only the wheat grass has sprouted.
I am also growing baby greens, broccoli, and peas. Hopefully, when I return on Monday, they will still be growing nicely. I have not yet planted seeds on the bottom level because it still needs to flow to a consistent level. Once that happens, I can plant seeds there and start to finalize the prototype for testing in the Tiger's Loft.

Thanks for reading,
Ben


Sunday, March 11, 2018

What I've Been Working On

Hello all,

Sorry I haven't been writing recently. Everything has been really busy for me, but hopefully, I'll be able to keep up now.

I finally got the electronics to work. I figure out that the problem is that the battery didn't have enough power and that it needs a few extra volts to run through the timer. Now that it is working, I have planted seeds in the top tube. If I remember, next week I'll get a picture of it so far and write about it. Hopefully, they'll grow over the weekend and I'll have something to show for it.

Thanks for reading,
Ben

Monday, February 5, 2018

Objectives for Week of February 5-9

Hi everyone,

This week I only have three Greengineering classes, so I am setting a long term goal:

By February 13, I will have the water table at the right levels. On the 14, I am leaving for a school trip, so that'll be my deadline.

-Ben

Friday, February 2, 2018

Week of January 28 to February 2

Hello everyone,

This week, I still need to control the water flow. It's really difficult because each time, you have to make the hole bigger, glue in the cloth, then put it back in the system.

The water is still quickly overflowing, and after much thinking, I realized the obvious: I need less water to go up. So next week, I'll take a new approach. This time, I'll make a hole in the tube so that less water actually goes into the pipe.

I'll see if it works. Until next week,
Ben