Saturday, December 23, 2017

Week of December 18-21

Hello everyone,

This week, my objectives were:

1. Finish the prototype minus the solar panel

2. If time, add the solar panel.

I did not complete either of these objectives, and here's why:

As I was working on the prototype, the top tube kept filling up with water and flooding. I kept making the hole bigger until I accidentally broke my pipe, popping part of the end out. I decided to roll with it and cut that part off entirely, but that did not make it any better.

Eventually, I realized that it would be better to start over, new top pipe, new design. The old one had a gro cube, a basket filled with hydrotin, a pouch of hydrotin, and a hole for growing. I also put in gutter foam between all of these.

This new prototype tube has four baskets filled with gutter foam. The problems with hydrotin is that it floats, making it unstable for the plant roots, and since there's many individual pellets, it's easy to lose track of them when you're cleaning the system or trying to remove a part for repair.

This prototype also has no gutter foam between the baskets, so water should flow quicker.

Hopefully, this prototype will work out better than the last time.

Thank you for reading, and happy holidays,
-Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment